Sankrit is the ancient language of Hinduism and Buddhism and means sanctified or consecrated. Most literary works of Hindu, Buddhist and Janism philosophy use it. Still to this day it is one of the 22 official languages of India.
Chakra in Sanskrit language means a wheel and this wheel is used to signify a human beings life force, or ‘prana’. The wheel is continuously rotating and spinning and has 7 centers within your body starting at the base of your spine and going upwards to the tip of your head. The chakras when balanced in a healthy individual will provide the right amount of energy to your physical being, your mental being and your spiritual being. However if they become blocked or spin too quickly (overactive) or too slowly your physical, emotional and spiritual balance will be out of sync also.
Each of the 7 chakras has a specific location in the body and is associated with a color and gemstone. When balanced they provide a positive connection to specific human experiences whilst when out of balance can cause illness, pain, stress and health will suffer. In tune chakras will provide natural energy cycles in your body and will empower both health and spiritual well-being and assist in living a well-balanced life.
We will go into further details of how each chakra effects an individual but here is a list of the 7 chakras, their color and their basic function associated with it.
- The Root Chakra – Red – Trust
- Sacral Chakra – Orange – Sexuality and Creativity
- Solar Plexus Chakra – Yellow – Wisdom and Power
- Heart Chakra – Green – Love and Healing
- Throat Chakra – Blue Communication
- Third Eye Chakra – Indigo – Awareness
- Crown Chakra – Violet – Spirituality
Shown below are the crystals associated with each of this Chakras and what they are used for –
Many people believe that the Chakras are the religious symbols of both Hinduism and Buddhism but in actual fact they do not belong to any singular religion but are available to all. They are also very popular in Tantric practices and deities.
Each Chakra requires a specific meditation to access it and ensure that it is in or kept in balance. This is called tuning the chakra and as all the chakra’s become balanced you will sense the prana energy throughout your body. However before we start explaining in detail what each chakra does let us try and do a basic chakra meditation to start of this journey of well-being.
- Find a quiet place where you will not be interrupted by the phone or somebody and sit down in a comfortable position. Close your eyes and just relax. Concentrate on nothing else except your breathing, being in the now with your body. If you so desire put some gentle meditation music on so it will drown out any other background noises. Do this until you are completely relaxed and comfortable just being.
- Slowly focus on the base of your spine and visualize the color red. Once you see this red color in your mind begin to make it spin in time with your breath whilst concentrating still on your tailbone. Sit with this for a few minutes, staying relaxed and focused just on being in the moment, your tailbone and the revolving red light.
- Now slowly move the focus from your tailbone to your spine just below your belly button. Imagine a warmth there and visualize an orange light. Again this orange light will begin to rotate in time with your breathing. Sit with this for a few minutes.
- Now slowly bring your attention to your spine and move it upwards a few more inches till it is just above your belly button. Imagine an intense yellow light here – you may feel emotional as this chakra looks after fear and love. As before the yellow light will begin to spin in time with your deep breaths. Notice how you can almost physically feel this yellow light spinning.
- When you are ready bring your attention upwards in your body to where your heart is. See the green light, instinctively you may have brought your hand upwards as this area is used when you feel touched or moved by something. Find the connection with that areas and watch the green light slowly start to spin in your mind.
- As you feel comfortable move your attention upwards to your throat area – between your collar bones. Your swallowing may become more intense and the need to clear your throat may be felt. See the blue light already spinning in time with your breathing.
- Moving upwards to your forehead just above and between your eyes. This is called the third eye and can both receive and transmit energies of perception, the psyche and intuition. Many believe this transmission is from the pineal gland. See the indigo light, feel it slowly spin in rhythm with your breathing. Allow yourself to imagine the bridge that brings the physical world together with the psychic one and how they can co-exist.
- Finally move your focus to the very tip of your head and imagine an intense violet light. This light is so bright it is almost like a beacon. This beacon begins to spin and as it does you feel a peace enter you as it connects you to all the universes and you feel warmth and comfort of this oneness that you are a part of. Stay here for a while until you feel totally rested and calm.
Now we are ready to go deeper into each of the Chakras. How they affect each individual’s health and well-being and methods to clear, balance and energize these amazing wheels of energy we all possess…